Jan 17, 2018

Plans for the Bathroom Facelift

It's time. The weather is planning to be un-seasonally warm this weekend, which is exactly what I need to kick off this project.

Side Story: Once we finally get our credit card paid off, and a new tenant in our rental, the bulk of our extra money will be saved up for the big one.....our main floor kitchen renovation.
I anticipate that project starting in roughly two springs from now, God-willing.
But in the meantime, I'm hoping to flex my design and DIY muscle just a tad.

Our downstairs bathroom, the one we use 99% of the time and basically the only one anyone ever really sees....is in dire need for a bit of a face-lift.

It is in impeccable shape given that whoever installed everything likely did so more than a couple dozen years ago. But the colors....ooooh the colors. There are so many. TOO MANY for my taste.


Since the ultimate goal is to do a gut-reno at a much later point in time, I will be working with the current layout and footprint.

This project wasn't even on my radar a month ago. But I tend to make rash decisions a lot sometimes and literally decided last week that I needed to get on it. January's make me itchy to start some sort of home project, and this year is no different.

I was hoping to knock out the update for minimal money, which means I'm doing all the work.
I believe the material cost to complete this upgrade hovers around ~$200. (I'll detail the final costs later)

Then I did my research. I started watching Youtube videos, read the reviews for a bunch of different products, and finally settled on the bulk of the plans.

Here is the game plan:

FLOORS: I'll keep the existing travertine tiles, but clean-up and dye the grout back to bright white.

BATHTUB AND SURROUND: Not touching it. We had the bathtub refinished last year and although the plastic surround is off-white (vs. bright white like I would prefer) I will keep it for now until we can replace it with tile.

BLUE WALL TILE: This is the big hitter for this room and requires the most prep. I'm talking A LOT of cleaning and A LOT of sanding. The painting requires adequate ventilation and a quick, steady hand, but I have confidence the results will be well worth the time. Goodbye blue and HELLO bright white!

PAINTED WALLS: They are currently an off-white beigey color, but I plan to paint them the same Valspar Tahitian Vanilla white that I painted the rest of the first floor.

VANITY MIRROR: I found a chalked paint company called Renaissance that will custom-tint their paint to match anything you want! I plan to pain the vanity mirror to match the painted walls, so it sort of, fades into the background.

VANITY: Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the colorful pink/gray granite top for the time being. I won't spend a penny to replace it until we buy a completely new vanity, so the wood base will be painted as well. Right now it's a toss-up between the same white as the mirror, or go dark gray. My samples should be arriving soon enough to make a decision.

Simple and clean is the name of the game. I pulled inspiration from bathroom photos like these:




Besides the tile paint and respirator mask that I purchased on Amazon, the rest of the smaller items were bought from Home Depot. However, I included a full Amazon shopping list with relatively similar pricing, should you be tackling a project now or in the future.

You can find it all HERE.

Progress photos and details to come! Wish me luck!
Thank you for reading! XO

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how it turns out! We need to do some renovating as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we moved into our house, our whole bathroom was PINK. The tile, toilet, tub, walls - everything :D

    Can't wait to see the after!

    ReplyDelete