Apr 14, 2017

Home Design: Our Bedroom Reno

Happy Friday! I can't believe we have already flown through the first half of April!
Summer is so close!!

I recently completed our bedroom renovation.
This labor of love took a blank slate with one random lamp, a few mis-matched pillows, and no focal point....


...and gave it a clean, mid-century modern vibe.


This has been a work in progress for many years. I started collecting pieces as I found them, with the final pieces of the puzzle being lighting and paint, and we are thrilled with the results!

As with every room in our home, I wanted the bedroom to have a gender neutral color scheme, with a contrast between light and airy, and dark and moody. My go-to color scheme is typically a mix of gray, cream, white, natural wood, solid textiles and pops of metal.
In this case, I went with gold and brass.

I originally painted our entryway using the same dark gray paint called Urbane Bronze from Sherwin Williams. I loved it so much it was a no-brainer to use again in our bedroom.

Our sleeping situation is different, so buying a standard headboard was out.
Instead, I came up with an idea to stencil a whimsical crane motif as a feature wall.

I did this by purchasing a large flock of cranes stencil (yes, there is shipping, there is no way around it. Trust me, I checked!) and this gold Modern Master's paint.
Don't forget a level and a set of small paint brushes!

I didn't follow the stencil exactly, to avoid an obvious repeat. Instead, I mixed and matched sections until I was satisfied with the end result. The gold paint dried quickly so I didn't have to worry about smearing anything as I overlapped sections.


I love the way the dark accent walls accentuate the hand-plastered curve of our ceiling.
They don't make homes like this anymore!


Our ceiling used to be home to a very ugly fan, so I chose a gold-leaf statement piece in its place. This light DOES need to be hard-wired so please hire an electrician, or find the patience to listen to your husband swear while you're standing inches away from his face, holding the (somewhat heavy) light above your head. as he screws everything into place.

But, I can assure you she is absolutely worth the effort!


We love a dark room to sleep in, so have always purchased insulated, black-out drapery. These neutral taupe colored curtains are 95" in length and perfectly frame the original balcony french doors.

Tip: If your ceilings are low, always bring the curtains all the way up to the ceiling, above the door frame, if possible. It gives the illusion of a taller space!


The natural wood cabinet was purchased at Homegoods a few years ago, but I am loving the look of this wood cabinet as an alternative. You sure can't beat the price!

It matches the wooden twist side tables perfectly!


The accessories in this room include a geometric frame, some faux succulents, and a couple wicker storage baskets to round out the look!





Shop the look!

Ceiling Light // Picture Frame // Drapery // Wall Sconces: Hardwire or Plug-In // Paint // Side Table //
I hope you take a bit of inspiration from my work and make it your own.

Oh, also! I have a Target promo that can help with your home design

Target is having a sale in their Home Section. Most home decor items are 25% off, and Furniture is 20% off but I can get you an additional 10% with online code SPRING.

Thanks for reading and supporting my design efforts!! XO

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I love your idea for replacing a headboard. It turned out so great Tia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wall! You did a great job. I would love to have a light fixture like that in our room... but it's the south and we NEED our ceiling fan. Shew! You have such pretty natural light in there! It all turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way it turned out!The light fixture is gorgeous as is that accent wall. Brilliant idea!!

    ReplyDelete