Apr 20, 2015

I got laid

...off.

(side note: remember my last farewell post? Riiiiggghhhttt. In the words of Justin Beiber's song writer, never say never.)

Four years of fantastic, dedicated service to a company I loved and then subsequently thrown out on my ass. Seems fair, right?

Luckily, I saw it coming. Working for a technology start-up, the goal is to get in and get out quickly and make as much money at the end. Well, the company is doing just that. Sparing you the gritty details that could jeopardize my severance, let's just say that the corporate restructuring didn't fair well for those that had been there for years (outside of management, of course.)
What we knew and loved about this company dissolved in a matter of months. 
The time spent collaborating with open, honest conversations was quickly filled with hush-hush closed door meetings. Anxiety rose. People started gossiping. The environment turned toxic.

I spent four year handling the entire office, all of our finances, three audits, multiple trade shows, calendar and travel coordination, a new office build-out, and all the other little daily details that I can't remember. As we grew, each part of my job started to shuffle....away....from me. My HR duties went to the actual HR person. Finance to finance, and so on.

But I didn't have any real work at that point. The end was close. I could just feel it in my bones.
I guess you could say I had a chip on my shoulder, but in the professional world, you can't just run around yelling at people and complaining about "how it's not fair."
I tried to make the best of the situation but it was tough.

Be flexible...they said.
Go with the flow....they said.
You're still important...they said.

Everyone that had been there for years quietly started to take action. Some are leaving and others are making similar plans. I....well, I got the boot, in the nicest way possible. 

They simply eliminated my position and left me a few bucks to pay the mortgage.
That was Thursday.

So, in my newly found vast free time, I decided to get back into blogging. I can't guarantee this is a new forever thing, but it feels good to write again. My head was in a dark place these past four months, but I have so much to share with you. 

I won't be hosting sponsorship opportunities or blog designs or anything like that. It's too much pressure and this is my outlet and chance to keep connecting with good people like you guys. As you can tell, I bit the bullet and paid for a blog design because damn....it looks good right?
Give credit where credit is due, and 17th Avenue Designs knows their shit. 

We'll get there.  And please, don't feel sad for my situation. In a weird way, I think it's for the best. 
It's the first time in a long time that I feel sane. It's funny how you just kind of deal with a shitty situation and don't really realize how bad it has become until you are through it, right? 

Stay tuned, friends.



6 comments:

  1. Welcome back. :) I haven't been blogging for awhile either and have been contemplating a return. We'll see. Anyways, I'm glad to see you in my feeds again. So many of my favorites stopped blogging (you included) so it's good to see one back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I understand! Just went back to work last week myself. Glad you are here and enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I understand! Just went back to work last week myself. Glad you are here and enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shady's back. Tell a friend.

    Whoop!

    Sounds like you're going to be moving on to bigger and better things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this and I'm very hopeful something great is just around the corner for you! So glad you're 'back!' :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It took me this long to find you again! Gah! I was getting frustrated that I wouldn't see you in my reader, but saw all your IG posts! User error! Sorry about the layoff, hope something good comes your way (maybe it already has and I haven't read those posts yet)! xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete