Dec 2, 2016

Choosing Joy in December


Happy Friday, loves!
December is a month to count your blessings, find the joy in loved ones around you, and live simply with a grateful heart.

But, I am realizing these days I am becoming really sensitive to negativity.
I am fully aware this is completely pregnancy related, so bear with me.



Instead of the sassy exterior I have built up from years of hustling in Chicago, I am turning into a big ole ball of mush.

And I don't like it.

I AM trying to give myself a break because I realize crying isn't my normal go-to.
It's usually just a bunch of side-eye. :)

I am just so sick of all the extreme emotions, hateful words, and violence these days.

People are quick to fly off the handle at anything that may rub them the wrong way, even if it wasn't directed at them in the first place.

I have witnessed first-hand how quickly someone will shut you out of their life if your lives and beliefs are not completely aligned.

Well guess what?


Instead of taking a step back to breathe, and realize that we are all human, with human error, and subtle, different opinions, people are completely lashing out at others simply because they have become offended from one statement that THEY took out of context.

Perhaps....shockingly, one statement on social media may not actually define a person, or a community, as a whole, but instead, may simply offer a glimpse into one perspective of many, many opinions.

What works for one person, shockingly, may not work for another.
Maybe it's okay to accept that we are all built a little differently.

Instead, people are completely dismissing each other and turning into raving lunatics.

Wouldn't it just be easier to move along and brush off the indifference?

Freedom of speech is an amazing right we have been given as Americans.
But having that power and knowing when to use it is shows maturity.

It's literally the difference between a superior, well-mannered adult, and a person with immature, child-like qualities.

Having the capacity to understand that human nature, human opinions, and human mistakes, are not black and white, and are instead varying shades of gray, is what makes for a rational, functional person in society.

We all have struggles and triumphs that differ from other people.
We all have different successes.
We all have different failures.
We all have different opinions. Gasp!
We are all (hopefully) trying to make the best life for ourselves, and doing it in the way that best suits us, and our families.

The grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence, so stop comparing.
Nobody owes anyone anything.
You work hard to reap the rewards that may find you, but sometimes those rewards don't come right away, if ever.

That's a hard pill to swallow.
But that's life.
You get up when it knocks you down, and brush that fucking chip off your shoulder.

Me, personally?
I try to stay neutral for the most part.
I simply don't want the drama.
I find it a waste of time to try and argue with someone that obviously won't bother hearing an opposing opinion.
OF COURSE I have opinions and beliefs about a lot of things, but in my little social media world, I get to choose what I write about, and what gets spattered in the comments.

I don't have to keep shitty, passive-aggressive comments on my site if it stresses me out and triggers others to lash out as well.
Just like a town doesn't have to keep graffiti on the wall of a building just because the "artist" had an opinion about something and felt compelled to write it.

So what can I do?
I can't move mountains, and to be honest, I don't want to.
I don't want to change others opinions, or rally around the in-justification.
It's not my burden to bear.

Instead....I can move forward with my life.

Bring the happy back to the Holidays.
Turn on the Christmas radio station.
Tune out the crazy people.
Thank God for the huge blessing I have been given to become a mom.
Decorate our home for Christmas.
Sip hot chocolate by the fire.

Appreciate that I have a wonderful husband, three healthy and happy pets, a warm house, a paycheck to put food on the table, buy gifts for loved ones, and even save a bit for the lil' man brewing inside me.

I can remember we have loyal friends and family...our tribe...that rallies around us, and us around them, through the good and the bad.

The good.
That is what cancels out hate.
I hope you can find ways to keep the joy in the Holidays as well.

Thank you for reading and stay warm this weekend. XO

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me at times how, um, passionate people are about their opinions. Maybe I'm dead inside but I rather sort of just live my life and be nice and try my best to enjoy each day. Pretty simple. :)

    ReplyDelete