Oct 12, 2015

Getting caught up


Have I ever mentioned that October is exhausting?
Well it is. When I was out of work in the Spring, all the daunting tasks to get our home "summer ready" were met with enthusiasm because I had all the time in the world to get everything done.
Sure, it was still tiring, but it was all I had to do.
But now? I totally forget how unorganized our home gets over the summer.
Everything needs to be winterized, shut-down, cleaned out, updated....and with less daylight, staying up with all the "normal" everyday tasks on top of all the new tasks just gets overwhelming.

I started getting a bit of anxiety late last week because it seemed with every item I checked off my list, three more were added. It was all in my head and I couldn't think straight.
Panicked, I rushed to Homegoods and bought myself a little notebook and a portable calendar to stuff in the front.
And I wrote everything down.
Everything.
All my work items, organized into checklists for Super important, Needs to be done, and Backburner.
And as ridiculous as it sounds, I made a home checklist too.
One that even included luxury tasks like dying my hair.

Because what happens is I'll have a task to rearrange some wine glasses from our old storage unit to the new. But then I realize that before I can just move that, I need new space for other items and a home for the old storage unit. So then that means I need to organize another room before I do the original task.
And that is how my to-do list grows.

Saturday morning I woke up and got to work.
And by 4pm I was we were out the door to a friends housewarming party.
I knocked nearly everything off my list and although proud, was spent.

We were supposed to go out on the boat for one final hurrah Sunday.
I still needed to grocery shop and meal prep, and generally get ready for the next week.
My body was just exhausted. The bags under my eyes spoke volumes.
Yes, I needed to do things, but I also need to do them slowly and take it easy.
It is Sunday, after all.

So I shoved Mark out the door to have an overnight on the boat without me.
While I was able to sneak in a vacation this summer, he hasn't spent a night without me, so I thought it was the perfect solution.
The boat is his dream. Not mine.
And I'm sure I would have had a great time, but still annoyed that my task list was never finished and here I am, hurdling into the next week on empty.

Off he went. In my new found free time, I rearranged our Halloween decorations again, meal prepped, and took Burn on a golf cart ride around the town, stopping at the river to watch the boats cruise by.


I ended the night on the couch and watched a few movies, tucking in earlier than usual.
And it was perfect.



I'm back to blogging now, and normal recaps. The house should be on auto-pilot through the winter, which is a much welcomed change. (Although, I'm sure I'll be cursing those words come February.)

The house is spookified.



The living room is totally updated.

Cabinetry before and after
The rooms that aren't visited often are completely organized and cleaned.
And of course, I have a lovely looking bar cart with all my favorites!


All is good with my world again.
How about you? Please tell me your task list isn't as overwhelming as mine! Or is it?

Thanks for reading!!

4 comments:

  1. I felt like last week was really busy for me and not in a good way - Monday I was trying to leave work and my car battery died. Tuesday I got a stomach bug that had me down ALL DAY! Wednesday I was finally feeling better but felt behind on home chores because of Monday and Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I feel every week is like this but is SERIOUSLY helps me to take time, each Sunday, to sit down with my planner and just plan out the week. Kids schedules, homework, house tasks, meals - etc. It helps to have a daily plan!

    Your home looks SO cute for fall! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I would die without my weekly day designer (found at Target)

      Delete
  3. I feel that I have been in limbo land since my construction started in June - but the light is at the end of the tunnel - today my bedroom that has been baby blue (including the trim!) has been painted - I texted Jacob on who it looked and he said "dope." Nice! Floors next week and I can actually imagine us using the living room AND the dining room by Halloween! :D

    ReplyDelete