Dec 20, 2017

How I Use Essential Oils

Ever since my prior pregnancy, I have been dabbling here and there with essential oils, and it is always more apparent in the winter time when I spend more time indoors.

I don't necessarily buy into all their magic, but I find it fun and soothing to incorporate them into my daily life.

Here is how I am currently using them:


1. On My Skin

As part of my quest to eliminate a lot of nasty chemicals that are slathered on me each day, I found Everyone Lotion. They combine essential oils to create beautiful scents without things like parabens. EO used to be sold at Target, but I haven't seen it stocked in recent months. These days I buy the large 32 oz. bottle every few weeks from Amazon (yes, I go through it that quickly).


My current favorite is the Lavender + Aloe scent.
When it's warmer I go with Coconut + Lemon.

It's light and totally moisturizing, even for these disgustingly cold days.
As a former slave to Jergen's Cherry Almond lotion, this is a welcome alternative.

2. For Sleep

I had the worst stuffy nose when I was in my first trimester last year. From a suggestion from a fellow infertility warrior, I purchased a cute diffuser and a trial set of oils from Amazon.

I really had no idea what I was doing, but the set came with some helpful combos for different ailments.

These days, to help me sleep (especially during full moons and daylight savings) I add a few drops of Lavender, Peppermint, and Pine Needles or Eucalyptus to the diffuser and leave it on all night.

I swear I fall asleep so much easier when it's on!

3. On My Wrist

I didn't know essential oil diffusing bracelets were a thing until recently.


I love this raw wood bracelet from Leland's corner for two reasons. I can diffuse great smells that are way better than perfume, PLUS, all current bracelets in her Etsy shop go towards my good-friend's adoption fund.

Giving good AND Self-Care?..It's a win-win in my book.

4. As a DIY Sugar Scrub for Self-Care

Anyone who knows me knows I love my baths.
I found a super quick tutorial on how to make my own sugar scrub a while back and make a batch every so often when the mood strikes.

It's super easy to make!

For one batch combine the following in a air-tight glass jar.

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil (microwaved for 30 seconds to soften. I get mine from Trader Joe's)
5 drops Lavender (Lavender is really having a moment with me, isn't it?)
5 drops Rosemary

Stir until fluffy and combined.

Fill your mason jar.

To Use: sprinkle into bath or spoon out and rub into skin during a shower!
just be sure not to get water into the jar. it hardens pretty quickly that way. live and learn. YOLO

5. As an Alternative to Candles

While I am pretty much obsessed with B&B 3-wick candles for the holidays...sometimes I like something...lighter.

I'll drag my diffuser downstairs (I really should just buy another one), add some drops of Tea Tree and Eucalyptus and pretend I'm on Fixer Upper.


For something more festive, Orange, Peppermint and good ole' Lavender are divine smelling!

See? Nothing crazy!
Do you use Essential Oils?! Share your tips!

Thanks for reading! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment