Jul 22, 2015

We are lucky

I realize my last post was totally kind of psychotic.
People seem to take for granted how good life can be, and it bugs me to no end.
I'm not trying to get all granola on everyone, but life is goooooddd....maaaaan.
Even through shitty times, there is always tomorrow.


We are lucky to be living life these days.
In light of all the setbacks and frustrations that have come out of trying to conceive a child since 2012, we are still lucky.
I keep thinking about the last conversation I had with my aunt.
We were chatting it up about my cousins upcoming nuptials and she mentioned she had read about what Mark and I are were going through with IVF and genetics and all that, and she goes,
"you are lucky to be living in a time when what you need is possible."

Obviously IVF was not the route we originally intended to take (or EVER take, for that matter), but we ARE lucky to be going through it during this time in our life when science and health insurance have changed dramatically over recent years.

She mentioned that when she had her kids, she was lucky that c-sections were finally mainstream and considered the norm, otherwise she would not be alive today.
It's crazy to fathom that these days. This common scenario to elect a c-section (and one that is shunned upon, depending on what crazy mom forum you are reading) was finally considered "normal" 30 years ago. She could make a life-saving choice and the rest was history.

And without going all Kim and Kanye about conceiving a child, at the very least Mark and I get the opportunity to raise a child, free from a major debilitating, life-threatening disease.

My company health insurance is exempt from the Illinois mandate for IVF coverage.
But thanks to Obamacare, I am able to choose my own health insurance based on what I need for our future family. I can choose a coverage is affordable, in network, and reap all the benefits of a big box company, and I can do it all on my own.
We are extremely lucky to live in a state that offers an IVF mandate.
I will be choosing BCBSIL for next year. Another bonus, while reading the fine print, I found that in March 2015, they updated a clause in their coverage to include PGD (pre-genetic diagnosis) with IVF if deemed medically necessary.
It's considered medically-necessary if both partners are a match for a single-cell genetic disorder.
Bingo.
That's us.

Is IVF an uphill battle?
Sure. There will be many, many appointments and needles and possible setbacks and failures.
And it's still not 100%.
But success could be higher than the standard 15-20%. Hell, I have read statistics that pointed out IVF with PGD has success rates as high as 80%.
I get giddy thinking I could be a part of that statistic.

There was always a plan for us. And it included the past four year set-back.
That is clear now.
And man....this next year will really try my patience.
The best things in life are worth waiting for, don't ya think?


Thanks for reading, loves.

3 comments:

  1. I hope I don't complain too much. I try not to but I do sometimes. And yes, we all have much to be thankful for! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I don't complain too much. I try not to but I do sometimes. And yes, we all have much to be thankful for! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for this next phase for you guys. I'm giddy and excited about it, I can't imagine how YOU feel!!!!

    ReplyDelete