Jul 24, 2015

Leavin', on a jet plane

At the publish of this post, I will be picked up by a car service and whisked away with my mama to her home town, Nashville.


Well, I suppose a little outside Nashville, but the land of Country and slow-times, none-the-less.

This trip was taken twice a year, every year, from my birth until a couple years after Mark and I started dating. My grandpa and step-grandma have a beautiful home there to escape the dreaded Chicago winter and have a little pool time in the summer.

Life got busy and Mark and I didn't go as much.

We haven't been back since.

And in the good and bad times around here, during casual conversation, my mom and I decided, on a whim, that we should book a little vacation. 
Just the two of us.
To escape the drama, and reconnect with family, and generally chill out.

I won't lie and say I'm 100% excited. 
Part of me is nervous. 
The last time we flew to Tennessee was an early Friday morning, the earliest flight American Airlines had available, to be at my Papa's side as he had crashed a few hours earlier and was in a coma.
Just thinking about taking the same airline, on the same day, to the same house, kind of gives me the willies.
But, I know this time will be much more positive.
Sure, there will be tears. We are planning to visit the grave site and in talking with my nana, I am sure the waterworks will flow. 
My family is an emotional bunch, I tell ya.

But regardless of all that, I am looking forward to being there. Revisiting the old stomping grounds, swim in their enormous pool, check out Nashville, eat some good food, and chill.


Mark will stay home to wrangle our dogs, visit with friends, and keep the house in order.
It's tough for both of us to vacation together, with the dogs and all. 
One day will get to go together again, but today is not that day.
And besides, our home has a bit of that Southern Charm that we always vacationed to anyways.

Have a fabulous weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun with your momma! You guys will have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun trip. Have fun 2 steppin' in Nashville! ;)

    ReplyDelete