Aug 13, 2014

Bitches get shit done

Welcome lovies,
It's a new day. We are past the little fall temperature hurdle that happened yesterday (seriously, it was cloudy and 50. I died a tiny bit inside) which obviously prompted me to purchase our first bottle of red wine in months.  Hello? Who drinks red wine in the summer time. No one. That's who.

Anyways, it was delicious. Thanks for asking. My go-to is typically Cupcake brand anything.

I wanted to thank you guys for your support after Monday's slightly sappy and reflective post, ie Pity Party of 1.

The beginning of a new cycle always brings a rush of adrenaline.





So that's what I do.
What have I accomplished thus far? Glad you asked.

I called my gyno back Monday morning. They must be super busy because I didn't get a call back from the Dr. until 8pm that evening. Which, obviously, was a phone call I missed because DUH it's 8pm.
I call back yesterday morning only to talk briefly with the nursing staff. She tells me the Dr. will call me back....again, to which I make a point of explaining the bit of urgency in getting shit in place.

"I'm on Day 4 of my cycle and if you guys want me to start again on Clomid and on the same day, that would be tomorrow. And I don't have a Rx in place. Nor do I have any instructions. Please call me back or I will become a stalker."

Which is exactly what I had to do.  I had to call back around 3pm after my original phone call at 8:30am.  Because NOTHING HAD HAPPENED.
I get the run around and now I have to become a bitch.
I tell them I will simply wait on hold until someone can get their act together and spend 2 minutes speaking with me. My Dr. hops on the phone and we get to chatting.

Out of nowhere she drops a bomb on me.

First, she tells me she wants to up my dosage from 50mg to 100mg. Just because.
I ask her if that means my symptoms will be worse because the post-O pains were pretty bad.
She says yes, and then proceeds to ask if I had a Day 21 Progesterone draw with the last cycle.
No, I didn't.
Because no one bothered telling me it was necessary (way to go Doc!)
Obviously I would have scheduled on to have a baseline had I known it was important.
She resolves to keep me on 50mg and I will need a Day 21 draw.
Totally fine. She calls in the Rx and we are on our way.

I'm a little pissed, honestly. It absolutely makes sense that I should have been monitored in some way and yet, I went against my better judgement to just ask, and instead "left it in the Dr's hands."
I kind of feel like I got jipped out of a cycle. But anyways, onwards and upwards.

In the meantime I have decided to do one of the few things that I CAN control and makes me happy.
Saving money.

I love a good deal.

I decided it was definitely time to refinance our rental property because, although it's in my husband's name, he is rather sluggish to get the ball rolling because he is terrible at paperwork.
Fine. I'll do it. His rate is ridiculous (6%!!!) and I had the idea that we are losing money each month between the rental income and our current mortgage.
What doesn't help is that our taxes went up about $50/month the same month as the renter's moved in.
Again, money lost.

So, I am refinancing the house. We can qualify for the HARP refinance (no money at closing!) and will be locking in a new 20 year loan, effectively saving us $42K over the course of those 20 years.
I am scrambling to gather paperwork this morning and get everything in gear, but we should be closing in 3 weeks and we get to miss a mortgage payment (more savings!!)

Which will be much needed because I need my dream bathroom, remember?

I have also bartered with Comcast to reduce my monthly rate by $50 and will be re-negotiating with our renters to up their rate a tad and maybe lock them in for a multi-year lease.  But I'll leave that to our realtor. I tell him what I want and he makes it happen.

All in all, today has been a win all around.

PS- Have you checked out the Track the Tank tab at the top? The shirt was just in Georgia!! It's making the rounds and I couldn't be more proud of the group of ladies we rounded up to make this journey happen!!

So, tell me, is anyone else as savings crazy as I am? I can't get enough!

12 comments:

  1. Can you please call call Comcast on my behalf and reduce my total by $50, please and thanks?!? I got it down $20 and I was stoked! Glad you were persistent with your Doc and got it all figured out, good luck with this next round! xoxo, ganeeban

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you for getting shit done! I woulda went ape shit on my doctor/nurses, I actually have been known to do that, because you have ONE JOB! My health is your one job! I get you have many patients, but still what if I said to a parent sorry, I have no idea where your kid is when they got to school?My ass would be toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, so sad to say that is the "norm" for dealing with the infertility doctor. Same situation here, It was like pulling teeth trying to get information out of them and for someone who never dealt with any of that before I was clueless...keep plugging away and you will get there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you considered moving on to an reproductive endocrinologist? Your doctor doesn't seem very in tuned to what all goes on during a medicated cycle. I know some insurance companies are weird about the approval and authorizations for RE visits....but maybe look into it? Best of luck! Continuing to keep you in my thoughts! Way to get shit done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg... I haven't even thought about red wine in forever. I'm starting to get the fall itch for sure and you just got me one step closer. Kinda getting burned out on my Chard and Sauvignon Blanc. Bring on the Cab/Merlot/Zin/Pinot please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, we call Comcast every 6 months threatening to drop them if they don't decrease our bill. Works like a charm.
    I'm sorry what happened with the last cycle. I'm NOT trying to get preachy, it's just because you know how many doctors I see… if you have any questions/doubts/concerns/thoughts ASK. Do not leave it up to them to get in touch with you. That's not saying the doctor is bad or dropped the ball, but you are probably one of 100's of patients. Things fall through the cracks, and I'm so sorry it resulted in you missing a cycle.
    Also, Steve and I drink wine ALL YEAR. And we love it. I'm a Pinot Noir kind of gal.
    Great job doing the refi, we did that on our rental condo last year and saved a butt load! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO glad you are getting that day 21 test - good for you!!!!! How annoying they didn't do it the first time around. Wishing for the best results!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should know by now that I'm as savings crazy as you are! Ha! However, I'm not very good at negotiating down my bills. I need to be better at that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to try a little harder on the savings thing - did you know you should 'shop' insurance (house/auto) every 2 years?? We've had the same exact thing since we got married ... 12 years ago!!! I NEED to get working on that, there has to be a better deal out there, right? And my Dish bill, got them negotiated down to the intro rate, but only for 6 months, which runs out this month. So they are either going to re up that or I'm switching to the competitor. I don't mind the hassle of the guy coming out to install since I'm here anyway. Good for you on looking for and finding the deals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always love a great savings :) Coupons make me happy too when I bother to get my hands on them. Yikes it sucks you missed that cycle :( Hope you have a better one this time around and if you don't never be afraid to switch docs! I'm always crazy, maybe not saving crazy but just crazy.. Just trying to get through the work day and enjoy my weekend! Woot Woot - Hope you have a great one Tia! -Iva

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are getting it DONE! have you considered a future in law? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, I love your post. There is nothing better than saving money. I adore a good sale and better yet I love when I come up with better ideas on how to save money. Second of all, I am new to your blog and definitely consider me a follower.

    ReplyDelete